English is a hard language to learn. New words are being added to the English language everyday, not including all of the slang and personalized lingo that pops up from time to time. There are many fun and educational things you can do to help build your English vocabulary. Read on to learn more.
1. Talk less and listen more. You can learn new words, phrases and contexts from the different people around you.
2. Read anything and everything that interests you. Even books and magazines for younger children and adults can enhance a vocabulary by putting new words into an easy context.
3. Play word games. Swap a strategy game for a word game. You can discover many new words from online games.
4. Ask for meanings. Anytime a word is used that you do not know in a conversation, ask someone what it means.
5. Pick up a dictionary. Specialized or fun dictionaries are a good place to start. Look up a word or just open the dictionary to a page and select a word at random.
6. Keep a word chart. Put new words that you learn or are incorporating into your vocabulary on a list. Post the list somewhere you pass everyday.
7. Dissect new words. Find base words, prefixes and suffixes from words you already know to figure out the meaning of a new word.