Third-party text messaging applications offer more features than the native interface.
The HTC EVO 4G’s text messaging interface does not allow you to customize its wallpaper or theme. If you are looking for ways to personalize your text messaging experience, download a third-party text messaging application from the Android Market that serves as an alternative to the native application. These applications allow you to send and receive SMS and MMS messages, as well as change the background, or wallpaper, of the text messaging interface, by incorporating different themes.
1. Tap the “Market” icon in the EVO’s App Drawer to access the Android Market.
2. Press the EVO’s “Search” key, designated by a magnifying glass, to open a text box.
3. Type the name of the text messaging application, such as “Handcent SMS,” “chompSMS” or “Go SMS Pro” in the text box and press the magnifying glass graphic next to it.
4. Tap on the desired application from the list of search results to view the application’s information.
5. Select “Download” from the application’s page.
6. Tap the application’s icon from the EVO’s App Drawer.
7. Press the EVO’s “Menu” key to view the options for the text messaging application.
8. Navigate to the “Theme” options and select a desired layout.