Transform you home floor plan into 3-D
The latest 3-D modeling programs make converting 2-D floor plans to 3-D geometry relatively straightforward.
While you could outsource your 2-D conversion plan to a third party there is nothing stopping you from leveraging any number of online 3-D software packages to get the job done yourself at a lower cost.
Plus, it will be a more instructive process, allowing you to explore a greater range of possibilities in composing your 3-D plan.
1. Make sure your line drawing or paper floor plan of your home is in digital format. If not, leverage a large format scanner service to digitally scan the drawing and deposit on disk.
2. Ensure the scanner service saves it in an approved digital format such as CAD (e.g., dwg) files or PDF vector files. Points and lines will snap correctly in these formats
3. Select a 3-D modeling program that fits your budget and import your floor plan into the program.
The import introduces a 3-D dimension into the floor plan, which creates the perspective views.
4. Use program features such as layers and components to separate out elements of your floor plan.
This will allow you to extrude sections, including raising perimeter walls. It also aids system performance, as your model gets more complex.
5. Use the program-tracing tool to trace sections of the 2-D floor plan followed by extrusion tools to simulate 3-D geometry, if necessary.
Utilize the tape measurement tool to give you more precise control over the modeled sections as you practice extrusion.
6. Orbit or circle the x, y and z dimensions of your model. Each time you extrude a part of your 2-D model you will be able to access a different view or perspective.
This offers a 360-degree view of your model to help you troubleshoot and improve the design aspects.
7. Keep things simple and focus on completing the interior walls, doorways and windows before delving into interior design. Typically, a 3-D plan will not require a ceiling, which would otherwise obstruct the view. Cabinets, furniture or other interior touches are optional.
8. Animate your model and deploy 3-D walkthroughs, once your model is complete.