GIMP is a freeware graphics and photo-editing application that anyone can download and use. It has many of the tools you would expect to find in commercial products like Paintshop Photo Pro or Photoshop. Many people and small businesses are using it to edit their images. For example, if you are working on an ad or other graphic in which you would like to remove sections of the image so that a color on the layer below it can show through, you can do this in GIMP.
1. Load the image you want to edit onto your computer.
2. Open GIMP. Select “File” from the menu and choose “Open.” In the dialog box, browse to and open the image you loaded.
3. Go to the “Layers” panel on the right and click on the “Create a New Layer” button. In the dialog box, choose “Transparency” and click “OK.” Drag the new layer under the image layer.
4. Select the “Paintbucket” tool from the toolbar and use it to fill the empty layer with the color of your choice.
5. Select the top layer. Select the “Path” tool from the toolbar.
6. Use the tool to draw a path around a part of the image you want to cut out. In the options panel, click on “Make Selection.”
7. Click “Delete” on your keyboard to cut out the selected area. Repeat this process to remove all the parts you want. Save your work when you are done.