Do A Partial Dity Move (Personally Procured Move) In The Military With A Pov

Do a partial DITY move (Personally Procured Move) in the military with your POV

When executing military permanent change of station orders, the easiest way to transport your household goods (HHG) is to have the government pay for packers to box up all of your belongings and move them to your next duty station. You are likely, however, to drive at least one family vehicle with a number of items that you will need before the movers arrive at your new home. You may want to execute a partial “personally procured move” (inexplicably abbreviated by the Department of Defense as a DITY move) in your privately owned vehicle in order to have that part of the move funded by your branch of service.


1. Apply for your DITY move with your Personal Property Transportation Office (PTO). The easiest way to do this is to go to This website will take you through a step-by-step process for estimating the total weight of your shipment and will allow you to apply for both your HHG shipment and a partial DITY move.

2. A counselor from the Personal Property Office will call you on the phone number you give during the web-based interview. She will FAX or email to you a completed DD Form 2278 (Application for DITY Move and Counseling Checklist) for your signature. After ensuring that the information is correct, you sign and scan or fax the document back to the counselor, who will return a final copy for your records. She will send you a travel voucher (DD Form 1351-2) that you will need to make your claim at the end of the process.

READ  The Best Baby Playmats

3. Obtain a certified empty weight ticket for your vehicle. You will need to locate a certified scale on base (check with Morale, Welfare and Recreation) or off base (your counselor will be able to give you a list of locations). For about $5 (save your receipt) you will be given a ticket with the empty weight of your vehicle (full tank of gas and no driver).

Ensure that the ticket includes your name, Social Security number and the signature of the weight master.

4. On the day of your move, load your car with your allowable items. Don’t try to move concrete or fill dirt to cheat the system. Obtain a certified loaded weight ticket (full tank of gas and no driver) on base or at just about any national truck stop. Keep your receipt for your travel claim.

5. Within 45 days of your DITY move, make your claim through the PTO of your new duty station. Ensure that you have:

One copy of your PCS orders

Original DD Form 2278 (DITY application)

Empty weight ticket

Loaded weight ticket

DD Form 1351-2 (Travel Voucher or Subvoucher)

Receipts for fuel and tolls

Copy of power of attorney (POA) if needed

Copy of vehicle title or registration