Rit liquid dye is a widely available fabric dye used to color fabric and clothing. You may want to darken faded black clothing, brighten faded colors, or change the color. You can dye clothing in a washing machine, but the dye can sometimes stain your washer or linger and affect the next few wash loads. Follow these tips for dying clothes with Rit dye in a bucket. Does this Spark an idea?
1. Dampen the clothes or fabric that you want to dye.
2. Fill a 5 gallon bucket with about 3 gallons of hot water. You might want to fill part way with hot tap water and then boil water on the stovetop to add to the tap water. The water must be hot for the Rit dye to take.
3. Mix the liquid Rit dye in the bucket of water. Read the back of the bottle to determine how much dye to use. Typically you will use 1/2 to a full bottle.
4. Add the damp clothes to the dye water. Read the back of the dye bottle to determine the proper ratio of clothes to dye water.
5. Use the tongs to constantly turn and stir the clothes in the dye water. Make sure all areas are submerged completely. If you don’t stir or if a portion of the clothes are not submerged, the color will not be consistent.
6. Continue stirring the clothes in the dye water for 30-60 minutes. Read the back of the dye bottle to determine the recommended dye time.
7. Remove the clothes from the dye water carefully, wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands.
8. Rinse the clothes in a sink or outside with a garden hose until the water runs clear.
9. Wash the clothes through a cold wash cycle in your washing machine with laundry soap.
10. Dispose of the dye water by pouring down the drain, diluting it with water as much as possible.