When a PS3 freezes up during game play, a software update is necessary to fix any problems with the PS3.
The Sony PlayStation 3 suffers from software bugs like any other device. These bugs can cause the PS3 to freeze during game play, which takes away from the overall experience of using the PS3 hardware. In order to combat these bugs, Sony software team frequently sends out PS3 software updates that will defuse any major bugs as they arise.
1. Go to the official Sony PlayStation 3 update website and download the latest PS3 software update. Each update that Sony releases fixes bugs and adds new features.
2. Connect a USB flash drive or memory card to your computer and create a folder inside of the USB drive or memory card named “PS3.” Create a folder inside of that named “Update.”
3. Save the downloaded PS3 update file inside of the “Update” folder on the USB flash drive or the memory card.
4. Pull the USB flash drive or the memory card out of the computer and connect it to your PS3. Select the “System Update” option from the PS3 main menu.
5. Select “Update via Storage Media” from the next screen and press the “X” button to install the latest PS3 update on your machine. This will fix any software bugs that are preventing your PS3 from working properly.