Compiz is a compositing windows manager for the Linux operating system. It provides desktop effects such as the desktop cube effect, window opacity and drop shadows. It uses the computer’s 3D graphics hardware to accelerate the effects. Compiz is available for the Ubuntu Linux operating system through the software repository. The software repository also contains the Compiz Configuration Manager, a graphical interface that can be used to enable the effects you want to use and disable those you don’t.
1. Right-click the desktop and select Open in Terminal to open a terminal window.
2. Type the following command:
sudo apt-get install compiz compizconfig-settings-manager
This installs Compiz and the Compiz Configuration Manager.
3. Type the following command:
This tests the Compiz desktop effects.
4. Type the following command:
This opens the Compiz Configuration Manager.
5. Click the System menu. Then select Preferences followed by Desktop Effects. This opens the Desktop Effects dialog window.
6. Click Enable Desktop Effects to add Compiz to the start-up process.