The yin-yang symbol decorates various objects.
The yin-yang symbol has long represented opposite but complementary forces, such as light and dark or good and evil. You might have a document such as an ad or a graphic for a website that you would like to add this symbol to. If so, you could make it more visually interesting if you gave it a 3D quality by adding depth. This is easily done using Photoshop CS5.
1. Load the yin-yang image you want to use as the basis of your 3D effect onto your computer.
2. Open Photoshop CS5. Select “File” from the menu and choose “Open.” In the dialog that appears, browse to and open the image you loaded.
3. Use the “Pen” tool to place a series of points around the yin-yang symbol, dragging as you do so to refine the curves to fit the shape. You are creating a circular path shape around the symbol that you will use as a selection.
4. Right-click on the shape you drew and choose “Make Selection.” Select “Edit” from the menu and choose “Copy.” Then choose “Paste in Place.”
5. Click on the “FX” button at the bottom of the “Layers” panel and choose “Bevel and Emboss.” In the dialog that appears, choose “Inner Bevel” and “Smooth.” Make the depth 300 and the size 24 and click “OK.” Your symbol now has 3D depth. Save your work.