A Collage Made in Microsoft Word
A collage is a piece of art created by pasting bits of objects together in a pleasing layout. One type of collage is created by overlapping pictures or other flat objects and mounting them on a display board. You can create a similar type of collage on the computer using Microsoft Word. The collage document can be printed from Microsoft Word and treated like a physical piece or art, or saved as an HTML file to add to your website.
Adding Graphics to the Word Document View Tab–> Print Layout).
3. Insert some graphics into the Word document using the Insert menu–>Picture, Insert menu–>Clipart or Insert menu–>WordArt commands (Word 2007: Insert Tab –> Picture, Insert Tab–> Clipart, Insert Tab–> SmartArt).
4. Click on the first picture you want to overlap another picture. The selected picture will have a box around it and resize handles.
Arranging Graphics Into a Collage
5. Click to expand the “Sizes Rotation and Ordering” panel in the floating format palette on the right (Word 2008, 2004) or click the “Format” tab and go to the “Arrange” panel (Word for Windows 2007). (See Figure 1–Word for Macintosh Format Palettes.)
6. Choose “Bring in Front of Text” from the “Arrange” drop-down menu on the palette OR click the “Position” button (Word 2007) and choose “More Layout Options–>In Front of Text.” (See Figure 2–Word 2007 Interface.) In earlier versions of Word, go to the “Format” menu and choose Picture–>Layout–>In Front of Text.
7. Click and drag the picture you selected into position overlapping another graphic.
8. Repeat Steps 3 through 6 for each object in the collage, and arrange them on the screen. The commands “Bring Forward” and “Bring to Front” in the Arrange palette/panel can place a selected picture on top of a neighboring picture like placing sheets of paper on top of one another. See Figure 3 for an example where three pictures in Microsoft Word 2008 are overlapping one another to form a collage.
Saving and Printing
9. Save your file by choosing “Save” from the File menu or Office menu (Word 2007) in the upper left.
10. Save your file as a web page by choosing “Save As” from the File menu or Office menu (Word 2007) in the upper left, then selecting Web Page (.htm, HTML) as the format. This will create an HTML file containing your collage that you can then upload to your web server.
11. Print your file by choosing “Print” from the File menu or Office menu (Word 2007) in the upper left. The size of your collage is limited to the paper size your printer is capable of printing.