With a tablet computer such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab, you can watch video in a few different ways. You can watch a downloaded file, navigate the catalogs at online video sites such as YouTube or stream content from services like Netflix and Hulu. All current versions of the Samsung Galaxy Tab run on Google’s Android operating system and support 1080p video at frame rates up to 30 frames per second. These tablets also play most mainstream video file formats including MPEG4, WMV, H.264, H.263 and DivX.
Watch an Existing Video File Already on Your Computer
1. Click the small arrow in the middle of the Galaxy Tab’s taskbar. The Task Manager opens.
2. Select your preferred video application from the Task Manager. The Galaxy Tab ships with a native video player called “Video,” but you can also download one of the many free video player applications, such as VLC, from the Android Market store. Once installed, you will find these apps in the Task Manager.
3. Navigate using your video player to the location on your Galaxy Tab where you’ve stored your movie. If you transferred the movie onto the Galaxy Tab from your computer, it could be on your home screen. If you downloaded it using Samsung Media Hub, it will be stored in that application’s download folder.
4. Double-click on the movie to load it. How your video player handles the movie depends on which player you’re using – some will start playing the video in full-screen mode automatically, while others may load the video and then require you to press “Play” as an additional step.
Watch Movies on an Online Video Website
5. Open one of the Web browsing applications on your Galaxy Tab. You can use the native browser that comes with your tablet computer or download one of several free Web browsers available through the Android Market store.
6. Navigate to the video-sharing website that has the movie you’d like to watch. If you are planning to use a site such as YouTube, make sure that you have the latest version of the Adobe Flash plug-in installed.
7. Load the movie in your Web browser. On most video websites, this process simply involves clicking a “Play” button.
8. Maximize the video to full-screen mode if desired. On YouTube, for example, you can do this by clicking the small, rectangular icon in the bottom right corner of the video you are watching.
Watch Movies Through a Streaming Video Service
9. Download a streaming video application from the Android Market. Many streaming video services such as Netflix, Hulu and HBO Go offer free apps that allow subscribers to watch content on the Galaxy Tab and other tablet computers.
10. Launch the app. Enter your account information when prompted if you are using a mobile app for a paid service such as Netflix. Other apps, such as Crackle, permit you to stream a select number of movies without having to sign up for an account.
11. Search for the movie you want to watch. Each streaming service handles the search process differently. Most let you input search terms, while some also give you the ability to browse by genre.
12. Stream your video. The exact procedure varies, depending on the service you are using. In Netflix, for instance, you click a large red play button on the page that displays the movie description and rating.